Town of New London
118 W. Gold Street
London, NC 28127
New London, in the northern part of Stanly County, was once called Bilesville in its early years around 1870, because A family by the name of Biles were among
the first settlers there and had set-up a log store. A post office was established there and with the coming of the railroad in 1891, business boomed in the little town.
Saw Mills, Roller Mills, Cotton Gins, Blacksmith and Livery, one on the first bottling plants, foundry, a rope factory and an acadamy made their home there. It was
prominent in the gold mining era and in the early days of the Whitney enterprise on the Yadkin River. Bileville changed it's name around 1891, according to legend by an English mining engineer, in honor of his native city.
The old Parker Mine, which has been worked spasmodically throughout the years,dates to pre-Cival War days when it was operated by slave labor and big chunks of pure gold were found.
Early family names were Ivey, Culp, Napier, Mauney, Parker, Ritchie and Cotton. Once larger than Albemarle at the height of its gold mining days, New London today is a quiet
little residential town of several hundred residents, four churches, 3 schools, local government, several business and 3 industries.